I read a lot and people often ask me what I’m reading. The answer to that question is often complicated because I am usually in the middle of several books at one time. I thought I would share my reading formula with you:
At any one time there are at least three books that I am in the middle of:
1) A devotional book/study – something that will force me to dig into scripture more. This is what I read in the mornings.
2) A business/management/leadership/church administration book – something non-fiction that will challenge me in relation to my job.
3) A fiction book. This is the only book that lives on my night stand. I will read fiction to help me fall asleep at night, to take my mind off of whatever is consuming it and to relax.
1) I don’t read books unless they have been recommended to me and I usually wait for 2-3 trusted recommendations. The reason for this is that I don’t have time to waste. I’m content to let others do the detective work and if I trust the referral I’ll add it to my reading list. By the way, this applies to all three of my book types, even fiction.
2) I always carry a book with me – ALWAYS! Some of my best reading time is when I’m waiting somewhere (doctor/dentist office, traffic jam, etc).
3) I rarely read anything by a new author until I get a personal recommendation.
4) When I discover a really good book I tell others about it and I also buy a few copies to give to people that I think will enjoy it.
5) I read only when I can focus. If there is too much going on around me and I’m not reading for comprehension, I stop. If I can’t tell you what I just read, it was a waste of time.
I would love to know what your reading rules are. How do you decide what’s worth your time?
Oh, and in case you are interested here are the three books I’m reading right now.
1) Beyond Sex Roles: What the Bible Says about a Woman’s Place in Church and Family by Gilbert Bilezikian (very “thick” content breaking down the scripture to bring clarity to women’s roles)
3) Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (this book was first recommended to me nearly a year ago and I had so many friends tell how good it is that I finally gave in)
** Please note, I am not formally endorsing these books. I read a lot of material that I may or may not always agree with. Since I’m in the middle of all of these, my verdict is still pending.