What does this have to do with Sunday Highlights? Well, I’ll get to that in a minute…
Pete started with a question today:
What is the first word that comes to mind when you think of prayer?
How would you answer that? Nervous, unsure, boring, God, church, weird…
1 Thessalonians 5:17 says “Pray without ceasing”
- How do you do this?
- Can you pray without ceasing in the real world?
- We can’t comprehend this because we’ve reduced our relationship with God to a vending machine, a transaction. We approach God when we need something and then when we get what we need we walk away. (Pete made this point while purchasing a bag of Peanut M&M’s from a vending machine displayed on stage – pretty vivid analogy!)
More key points and scriptures:
- Matthew 6:5-13
- You know how to pray, but you don’t know how to listen (OUCH!)
- Prayer is more than a transaction, it’s a mystery.
- God wants you to pray. He wants to commune with you.
- Luke 18:1-8
- We often think praying is giving God our list of things we need or want, but we have no idea what to do with God after we give him our list.
- We forget that God breathed life into us and he wants to have a relationship with us. He’ll do whatever he has to do to have a relationship with you.
If you remember nothing else today, remember this:
God created you, he breathed life into you to have a relationship with you.
What will you do to make a point to listen to God this week?