Envy – the topic of today’s Baggage message.
Man, we carry so much baggage in our lives. Each week of this series has uncovered another piece of luggage that I’ve packed at some point in my life. Amazing how much a person can carry around unknowingly. We get so used to the weight of this emotional baggage that we don’t even realize that it’s there or how it’s affecting us.
Here are some highlights from Pete‘s message:
Scriptures: Genesis 4:3-8, Exodus 20:17, James 3:16
We envy because there is a difference between who we are and who we think we should be.
Some things about envy:
- It destroys relationships.
- It happens between close friends
- It grows naturally in relationships between equals.
- It breeds in proximity and therefore destroys community.
Envy is not a STUFF issue.
Envy is not a PEOPLE issue.
Envy is a SPIRITUAL issue.
- You’ve got to own your envy.
- You’ve got to get straight who God has made you to be.
- You’ve got to figure out who you want to please.
“Yet I still belong to you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny. Whom have I in heaven but you? I desire you more than anything on earth. My health may fail, and my spirit may grow week, but God remains the strength of my heart.”
That’s my prayer for each of you – that God would be the strength of your heart, that you would discover who God has made you to be and to refuse to compare yourself to others, ending this battle with envy.