Growing as a Leader
If I know anything about leadership, it’s that it doesn’t come easy.
Yes, some people have a natural gift toward leadership, however growing and developing as a leader is hard work. It won’t just happen. A position of authority won’t miraculously make you a good leader. Being called a leader doesn’t make you a good leader. Going to leadership conferences won’t make you a good leader.
You will become a good leader when you become dedicated to being one. It has to be intentional. You have to work at, pray for and seek it EVERY day. You have to read, listen, study EVERY day.
Here are some of my suggestions for things you can do to grow as a leader EVERY day:
- Make praying for leadership wisdom a part of every day
- Read 30 min to an hour from a leadership book every day (including the Bible – there is great leadership stuff in there!)
- Study other leaders around you and journal your observations
- Find a peer who sees your leadership in action and can give you honest, candid feedback
- Seek out a seasoned leader to meet with occasionally who will coach and mentor you (this could be one person or many)
The bottom line is you’ve got to work at it.
You’ve got to be a student of it.
You’ve got to be committed to it.
So let me ask you, what are you doing today to grow as a leader?