The Church’s Next Great Crisis
Last week I had the privilege of speaking at Church Planters Velocity Conference about engaging our young women in the church. This was the overview of my session:
Cultivate Her: Developing the Women Leaders in Your Church & Why It’s Essential
What would happen if half of your leadership horsepower walked away from your ministry? Statistically over 57% of volunteers within the church are female. How are you engaging the women leaders in your church? Do they know their potential to serve? We’ll discuss why clearly embracing the essential role of women in ministry will set your church up for reaching a generation of leaders that are discounting the church’s interest in engaging their gifts.
I believe that the next great crisis for our churches is the engagement of today’s young women. Today’s 20/30 something woman looks a lot different than women 20 years ago and I think there are things that we as a church can do to more actively engage their gifts and their strengths. In fact, I believe that if we don’t engage them, we’ll lose their gifts to other organizations that are vying for their time and their talents.
Did you know?
- The average age women get married now is between the ages of 28-31
- There are more single women than married women in the US today
- Women are more educated than ever before
With those statistics in mind, consider these questions:
- Where do women most visibly serve in your church? The café, the nursery? How about production, on stage, on leadership teams?
- What percentage of your key leaders are women?
- When do you offer women’s groups and at what times? Are they mostly during the day and targeted to moms? Or do you have evening groups and subjects that connect with professional women and singles?
- If you were a single, professional young women would you be able to easily identify where you fit inside your church?
What do you think? Are we on the verge of a crisis?
How is your church effectively engaging this young generation of women in our churches? I would love to hear what’s working for you!
** If you’re interested in hearing my entire talk from Velocity, click here to listen.