So You Want to Be a Group Leader…
I still remember the first time I made the decision to be a leader of one of our community groups at Cross Point.
I was volunteering in many capacities but I had not yet made the commitment to lead a group. My husband and I had been a part of an amazing couples group for several years but the idea of leading a group (as much as I like to lead) still concerned me. This type of leadership felt more significant in some way… perhaps because of the spiritual purpose of groups.
But I finally took the plunge and have been leading groups ever since. Being a group leader is one of the most rewarding leadership experiences I’ve ever encountered even though…
- I don’t have all the answers.
- I feel totally inadequate some days.
- I often have to consult another pastor for suggestions on leading my group.
- Sometimes I don’t feel like doing it.
- Most of the time I’m scrambling to have my house ready for company (and I quickly discover they could care less if it’s clean)
- I have to make time to prepare
But in spite of all the hurdles that I face to leading a group, I’m always amazed at how God uses this time for spiritual, relational and personal growth both for the members of the group and for myself.
I want to challenge you to consider leading a Community Group here at Cross Point.
It’s one of the most life-giving ways that you can be a part of this community.
This Sunday, August 7th our Community Groups Team will be hosting some meetings to answer your questions and share more about what it means to be a group leader. If you are sitting where I was 8 years ago, wondering if you should lead a group, I encourage you to join us for this meeting.
We’ll plan to answer some of the questions you might have, such as:
- How do I know whether I’m ready to be a leader?
- What if I have no leadership experience?
- What if I commit to being a leader, and I’m not good at it?
- How is being a leader going to grow me spiritually?
Ok, so are you ready to at least take it a step further?
Join us this Sunday, August 7th for a short informational meeting. We’ll be meeting after every service at every campus. Simply go to the Community Groups table in the lobby after the service you attend and they’ll direct you to the meeting location.
I really hope to see you there! 🙂